Monday, September 3, 2012

"Then We Will Remember Things We Said Today" -Lennon/McCartney

photo by Jan Siebold


"I hate quotations," Emerson wrote.  "Tell me what you know."  With all due respect, Mr. Emerson, I like finding quotations that really speak to me.  In fact I keep a journal of quotes that I like.  To me, statements that are worthy of being quotable are the epitome of good editing.  They usually convey a big message in very few words.  They can be inspiring, humorous, clever, thought-provoking or all of the above.  "A time comes when silence is betrayal." -Martin Luther King Jr.  "In all this world there is nothing more upsetting than the clobbering of a cherished belief." -Charles M. Schulz.  "Those who wish to sing always find a song." -Plato.  "I know just the thing!" -Lucy Ricardo.  If I'm stuck in my writing I often pull out my journal of quotations to find inspiration or to help me contemplate the point to my story.  So while I agree with Mr. Emerson's quest for originality, I will continue to find wisdom in other people's words.  In the meantime, please "Be excellent to each other." -Bill, from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure